Grade Level: 7th - 12th Grade
Start Date: August 20, 2020
Meeting Days: Thursdays, 1:00PM - 1:55PM
While we explore Forensic Science, this class will cover the state standards for 8th grade Physical Science. I assign homework after each class to encourage deeper understanding of the material.
- Week 1: Scientific Reasoning & Communication
- 1.1: Thinking about Thinking
- 1.2: The Scientific Method
- Week 2: Measurement and Significant Units
- 2.1: Metric Units and Conversion
- 2.2: Metric Measuring Lab
- Week 3: What is Matter?
- 3.1: To Be or Not to Be Matter
- 3.2: Changes in Matter
- Week 4: Quiz, Understanding Research, and a Mystery!
- 4.1: Quiz and Understanding Research
- 4.2: Mystery: Was it Revenge?
- Week 5: Atomic Structure
- 5.1: What is an atom?
- 5.2: Structure of the atom
- Week 6: The Nature of Chemical Reactions
- 6.1: Periodic Table
- 6.2: How do elements match up?
- Week 7: Compounds and Mixtures
- 7.1: Mystery Substance
- 7.2: Mixtures and Compounds
- Week 8: Midterm and Eyewitness Testimony
- 8.1: What kind of witness are you?
- 8.2: Eyewitness Testimony Examples
- Week 9: Density
- 9.1: What is Density?
- 9.2 Measuring Density
- Week 10: Fluid Pressure
- 9.1: Air Pressure Lab
- 9.2: Buoyancy/ Case of the Sabotaged Boat Race
- Week 11: Blood Spatters
- 11.1: Types of Blood Spatters
- 11.2: Creating a Bloody Crime Scene
- Week 12: Crime Scene Basics / The Deadly Picnic
- 12.1: Crime Scene Basics
- 12.2: The Deadly Picnic
- Week 13: Acids and Bases Lab
- 13.1: What is Acid? What is a Base?
- 13.2: Acids and Bases Lab
- Week 14: Mock Trial
- 14.1:Case of the Stolen Car
- 14.2: Order in the Court! A verdict!
- Week 15: Final Project Prep and Fingerprint Lab
- 15.1: Final Project group planning and write-up.
- 15.2:Fingerprint Lab
- Week 16: Mock Trial
- 16.1 and 16.2:Trial Presentations
Registration for this class is on Advanced Life Education (AdLIFE) website.
Coach Rebecca Scott
August 20, 2020
1:00PM - 1:55PM PST
Number of Weeks